Sunday, November 8, 2009

Holy Rosary Church


holyrosarypdx.org

(I didn't really go to church twice today. I am just a little late in getting around to posting this visit.)

I go to Holy Rosary quite often - almost as much as I go to St. Mary's Cathedral. It has quite a few Masses so it's easy to find a convenient time. I like the 1 p.m. Mass. There is also a Gregorian chant Mass each Sunday and once a month a latin Mass in the Dominican rite.

Holy Rosary is old fashioned. First, you will see many women with their heads covered, just as in the old days. Second, you will see families with 5 or 6 children, all under the age of 10. Where else in Portland do you still see large families? Third, during most all the Masses there is no kiss of peace. After the congregation says to the priest, "and peace be with you," the priest just continues with the Mass. There is no pause for handshaking or greeting your neighbor.

Another thing that sets this church apart is lots of times for confession. A priest (or sometimes two) hears confession virtually every day of the week. I think this emphasis on confessions is very good and holy.

Holy Rosary, although part of the Archdiocese of Portland, is staffed entirely by the Dominicans, the Order of Preachers. They live together in community at the rectory. Holy Rosary was damaged by fire in the 1990's and has been remodeled. It was beautifully done.

Almost in keeping with the 1950s old-fashion style of the place, the parishioners are far from outgoing. It's really a flaw of American Catholic churches in general, but I think the parishioners at Holy Rosary are particularly distant. I have been there scores of times and only once did a parishioner speak with me - an usher asked if I would like to volunteer as an usher. Except for that one time, the parishioners are truly Catholic in their reserve.

As a stranger to a Baptist church, I have been greeted by three different people on a single visit asking about my status and inviting me to join this or that group or committee. I think it is perfectly possible to go to a Catholic church every Sunday for a year and not meet another parishioner. Catholics are not taught to be outgoing or even friendly, much less evangelical. The Catholic Church in the United States mostly grows through birth and immigration, not from the evangelical efforts of its members. But I will leave the remainder of that discussion for another day.

As I said earlier, though, I go to church here quite often. I think I do because of the atmosphere at Holy Rosary, and the word that best describes it is "holy."

1 comment:

  1. I also attend here often - if I get out of the office quickly at lunch I can make it in time for communion at daily noon mass. I agree that worshipers here can seem a bit standoffish, but I wonder if this is because it really is frequented by so many of us from outlying parishes (I live in Vancouver, for instance); things might seem otherwise if with the "regulars" on Sunday mornings. Regardless, the priests here are wonderful, the services ALWAYS reverent, and although you didn't mention this, I like that there are only boy altar boys (without the pink and purple converse sneakers) - best of all the communion rail is not just a decoration or artifact but a focal point (maybe too strong of a description?) of the service.
    Nice blog, whoever you are - please keep it up.
    TJT

    ReplyDelete