Sunday, August 1, 2010

Korean Martyrs Catholic Church

Korean Martyrs Catholic Church, 10840 SE Powell Boulevard

This small church is located just east of I 205 on Powell Blvd.  There is a 10 am Mass that  is partly in English and partly in Korean.  There is an 11 am Mass that is entirely in Korean.  I went to the 10 am Mass.

I was one of two non-Koreans at the Mass.  The congregation was rather small, but with a large contingent of teenagers.  The teens handled the music, providing singing accompanied with drums and keyboard.   There was a single Korean nun, the pastor and two alter servers.  The church is named after the some 8000 Christians martyred in Korea in the 1800s, of whom the church declared 103 to be Saints in 1984.  There is a statue in front of the church depicting Father Andrew Kim, the most famous of the martyrs. 

The Mass was said mostly in English.  The pastor, who the Archdiocese's website lists as Rev. Peter Ock-Jin Cho, gave the sermon in Korean.  Additionally, early in the Mass Father Cho interrupted the singing of the Gloria to say something in Korean.  Then the music and singing started again and again he interrupted.  He seemed to be addressing only the group of parishioners in the front right hand side of the church.  This happened maybe four times before he went on with the Mass.  I figured it was some sort of "teachable moment" but I could not figure out what he was saying.

One interesting thing about communion was that the alter servers each held a small basket full of lollipops, which they handed out to the children, presumably those children too young for their First Communion.  I guess they had too many small children upset about taking the trip to the alter and coming back empty-handed. 

Shortly after the sermon the entire congregation stood and began filing toward the front of the church.  I had no idea what was happening and I stayed put.  First I thought they might be forming a circle around the alter.  Then I saw they were approaching the front of the alter in two lines as if to accept communion.  I thought they might be kissing a cross.  Finally, I saw people bowing and pitching something into a small basket and figured that this is how they gather the offering.  At that point I was embarrassed for not contributing.

At the handshake of peace all who were near me took my hand warmly and wished me peace.  After Mass, no one caught my eye or asked why I was there.  I took a few pictures and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment