Sunday, October 9, 2011

St. Therese of the Child Jesus

St. Therese Catholic Community
1260 NE 132nd Avenue

St. Therese is located near Glendoveer Golf Course not too far from the Gateway Shopping Center.  It is a physically large facility with an adjoining school.  It is named after St. Therese of Lisieux, the french nun who died of tuberculosis in 1897 at the age of 24.  

The current pastor, Fr. Steve Geer, was a late convert to Catholicism.  He speaks openly about -- prior to entering the priesthood -- having adopted and raised his nephew, who sadly became addicted to drugs and died at a young age.  Fr. Geer has a grandson. 

The church building appears to be another mid-century modern construction.  It is a large building, only a portion of which is the worship space.  But the church was far from full at either of the services I attended.  The remaining third of the church building appears to be devoted to offices or meeting rooms.

The parishioners at the 11:30 service were a mixture of White, Latino, Asian and Pacific Islanders.  Because the first time I went I took pictures not realizing my camera had no film, I attended services twice, both times being very pleasant experiences.

7 comments:

  1. I just stumbled across your blog and found it interesting. We have been wanting to find a Catholic church with some diversity and your "research" looks very helpful!

    Have you seen all the Catholic churches in Portland? How many are there all together?

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. There are 38 Catholic churches in Portland. It took me nearly two years but I have been to all of them. I still need to write-up my visit to the Downtown Chapel and one other, I believe.
    Many of the churches I visited on the east side are ethnically diverse. Good luck in your search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if you would visit Our Lady of Fatima on 45th and SW Garden Home Road. We have Masses on Sunday at 0800 and 1030 with Rosary and confessions before. Many of our parishioners have come from Holy Rosary and have brought their beautiful singing with them. We have Gregorian High Masses on first and third Sundays at the 1030 Mass. Be careful not to trip over all the little children as we have very large families. Check to see if it is kosher for you to come to our Mass. As of now Rome and our superior general, Bishop Fellay are in discussions about this. And our Holy Father, Pope Benedict has acknowledged the validity of our Masses. We have a very humble church, but would welcome you. We have coffee and donuts after Masses as well as hot dogs after the 1030 Mass.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for all your hard work and most importantly including photos. I'm new in town and am looking for one that has a certain look and feel to it. Your photos help. I'm also looking for one that has a lot of ways to get involved, and a very active parish. I've always enjoyed St. Mary's on my previous visits, but it doesn't seem to have very many ministries. I'll be using your blog as a launching point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad you have found my blog helpful. You remind me I need to both post photos for St Therese and do my write-up of St Andre Bessette (formerly The Downtown Chapel). Finding a church you can be active in is great, and you may find that visiting various churches as I did is rewarding as well. Best wishes.

      Delete
  4. This is the first time I have visited your blog and I love to read all your post..



    church louisville ky

    ReplyDelete